Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Addicted to dating?

So this was my weekend off from dating and I was looking forward to that.  Vegas was excellent!  As luck would have it (no- not luck in gambling but maybe in love) I think I met a man on my flight back.  I can't divulge too many details because I don't want to jinx it but I can say I REALLY hope he calls, which means most likely I won't hear from him.

I was sitting in the wrong seat on the airplane (apparently I can't read numbers all that well).  He said 'I think you are in my seat but I would be thrilled to have you sit on my lap.'  I know it is a dirty, cheesy pickup line but I am not too proud to admit that I fell for it.  He said he was fine taking my seat but I was bright red with embarrassment and insisted on sitting in our assigned seats.  As I was moving all my stuff he picked up my book and said 'Now as long as this isn't the Holy Bible I know I have found someone for me .'  At this point I assured him I would not be voting for the Huck.  He kept me laughing as we waited for take off and then as we were de-boarding the plane he continued to chat with me.  He claims he is from Texas but works out here.  He probably has a wife and kids (and as my close friend in Bean town pointed out- grand kids too) but these days who doesn't.  I guess this is where I can sneak in he is white, bald and probably a member of the AARP (yes he is over 55).  

He did take my number and only my first name so if he has even the beginnings of senility I guess I won't hear from him.  I don't know anything about him except that his name is Joe and he stays regularly at the Key Bridge Marriott.  If he doesn't call I'll know it's because he came to his senses and realized a 30-something is out of his league.  At least that's what I will tell myself as opposed to the alternative which is that he simply isn't interested.

Did I mention I want him to call?  I mean a 'want' like in the way a kid in the 80s wanted a Cabbage Patch Kid.  That badly is how much I want him to call.  And it is already 9 at night so it is not looking good for me.

All this makes me wonder though perhaps I have become addicted to dating since now even when my computer isn't close by I am flirting.  Is there a 12 step program like Daters Anonymous?  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.datersanonymous.net/

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you fell for the, "you want to sit in my lap" line. What did he think was going to happen? - HE'S SIXTY.