Friday, January 4, 2008

online dating explained

Well a few folks (a.k.a married people who do not have to deal with this) may need me explain what this online thing is all about.  If you don't need a quick lesson you may want to skip to the last paragraph of this post.

So I am currently on 2 sites - match.com and chemistry.com.  On both I have a profile.  It gives the quick and dirty facts about me- age, body shape, a blurb about me, etc.  If you would like to check mine out you can search for it at match. com.  You select search by username and my handle (or username) is jaguarthekitty.  http://www.match.com/profile/showprofile.aspx?ortp=1&TP=U&uid=1H3VI%2f6Gm08PUaWtZDWhjg%3d%3d&lid=21  If that doesn't work email me and I will send you the link.  On match.com I can search for certain ethnicities, religions, if they have pets, etc.  Then I can wink at someone or send an email or someone can do the same to me.  I don't get many hits (people checking my profile) here because I don't have a pic (picture) up.  Once contact is made and they seem only half crazy I send a pic to them at that point.  

On chemistry.com matches are sent to me that the chemistry gurus feel match with what I am looking for (based on a questionnaire).  Also I am sent notes from people who are interested in me because they have been sent my profile as a possible match.  

There are 4 stages on this one-  interest expressed, relationship essentials, short answer questions and email.  Once we have exchanged relationship essentials information they get 2 pics of me send to them.  Some people have their pics up with their profile but I selected a privacy option for mine.  The relationship essentials are statements (i.e. extremely neat and clean, loves pets, enjoys sports and events, etc) and then I rate how important these are to me on a scale (not important to very important).  Once we have expressed a mutual interest and both completed the relationship essentials then we can view the other's answers.  This is when they get my pics.  At any time one stops being interested (i.e. they rated loves pets as most important and I rated it least important) you can close the match.  Bear in mind that street goes both ways so some are closing the match when they get my pic.  I feel so pretty!  

Once a match is closed it goes to your archives.  If the match remains open it goes to active matches.  If you feel like you are waiting too long for a response you can 'nudge' a person.  I haven't used this function as I find it rude.  I have been nudged and that caused me to close a match.  

If we pass stage 2 (relationship essentials, which includes a pic from me) then 2 short answer questions are exchanged.  You can craft your own or pick from a list (i.e. what is your guilty pleasure, what song is in heavy rotation on your ipod, what made you smile today).  Once we have both answered the questions then the answers are sent to both of us.  If we pass this (pass meaning neither of us has closed the match yet) we get to email each other.   Let's call that the bonus round!

If you are thinking it may be less effort to apply for an FBI job then I have explained this very well.  If you somehow think this isn't a f*&^in'  ton of effort then please post a comment or email me so I can explain in a different way, perhaps with a graphic, to help you understand.

So today - Day 4- was a sad day because Mao Bing closed the match once he got my pic.  So did the man with twins.  I may not get any dates in 08.  It is a low point but the good news is I do have new interest from a chef who earns less than $25,000.  He lives in Gloucester, Va with roommates.  I am not trying to be a gold digger and I don't know where in Virginia Gloucester is, but can he afford the gas money to come meet me for coffee? Fact of the matter is I am getting ahead of myself because once he sees my pic he may just add me to his archives.  If that happens I will need someone to build me a bridge to get over this one.

peace

No comments: