Monday, January 7, 2008

Can I call you back? I'm dating right now.

Let me begin by saying this is TONS of work.  Never as a teenager when I would imagine being a grown up and dating did I think this is what my life would be like.

First you log on and you have messages you need to read and return.  Now I use the word 'need' since I am committed to this.  So at any given time I have to answer questions, fill in an interest meter, return a wink, return an email and see who threw me into their archives (that means they are done with me).  To keep up with this you can bank on 30 mins just to 'catch up' for the day.  Then from there if I had energy I could spend hours searching profiles to find some that I can initiate winks, questions or emails with.    

So when I get home at night technically I spend 30 - 60 minutes dating.  Like when a friend calls and says 'Hey, what are you doing?'  I could reply with, 'I need to call you back I am dating right now.  Give me 15 minutes.'  Is it normal to date from one's living room?  I haven't even spoken to a man yet about a date since 2008 began yet I claim to be dating.  Nice.   

Or maybe when a friend of mine says, 'let's meet for drinks at 9' I could say 'oh yeah I'll just date from 7-8 that night so 9 can work.'  Dating = me scrolling through messages on my couch, by myself.    

I am thrilled tonight though to announce I am making progress.  I have exchanged phone numbers with a man named Victor.  Yes he has seen my pic and continued to communicate with me- whew!  I know so much about him already, seeing as I haven't met him yet.  He is (if he is telling me the truth) a 35 year old African American (cute), works for the government, grew up in MD, and oh yeah - has NEVER dated a white woman.  I am sure this has LOTS of potential.  I mean I have to think there is reason he's never dated a white woman but heck if I care at this point.  He's the closest thing I have to going out on a real date yet. 

But maybe all my dating take place on the couch.   I am sure he would like me if I suggested my place as a venue.  Hmmmm...the possibilities are endless!  

peace

No comments: